Tuesday 31 July 2007

Cousins for Africa

I was put onto another Genealogy website www.genesreunited.co.uk and it is fantastic. I had to pay $20 for a six month registration but it allowed me to upload the family tree I've been
working on and then it threw up matches with other people's trees.

I've had difficulty finding Sutherlands so I've cast my net to include the entire extended whanau - including Allan's family.

The upshot is that I've found cousins! Cousin Beryl from Australia replied. Her and my mother are second cousins - they share a great-grandmother - Catherine Gibbons was born in Oxfordshire, England and married Charles Edward Edwards, a gold miner, in Australia in 1868. He had found a huge gold nugget and married her that year.

Cousin Nick from England replied - we share a great-great-great-grandfather.

Allan's Cousin Christopher also replied - his father is Allan's great grandfather's brother

They're fairly distant as far as relations go, but it does mean that I have other sources of information about all these lines.

Needless to say, it might be a little early to start planning family reunions.

No comments: