Monday 19 March 2007

The Wrong Track???

My friend put her editor's hat on and suggested that "Sutherland" in "Searching for Sutherland" should be plural. I must admit that I've never really liked the title so I've changed it completely. I hope it doesn't stuff up my blogspot address.

Anyway ... today I had a bit of a start. I was browsing through www.familysearch.org (as you do), just throwing in random names and seeing if anything new came up, and I tried entering Robert and Christina Sutherland as parents. The search threw back David Sutherland, born on 9 November 1873, Latheron, Caithness, to Robert Dunbar Sutherland and Christina Morrison Sutherland. Zut Alors!!! Have I been going down the wrong track all along??

I'll go along to the LDS Family History centre next week and see if there's any more information there. Although I did do a couple of searches found Robert D Sutherland and Christina M Sutherland in Latheron in the 1881 and 1891 censuses. There was young David, aged 7 and 17 respectively- (at 17 a "teacher of pupils" no less). There was a daughter listed - Helen and another - Isobel - but no William Morrison or Robert, which is somewhat heartening. I don't want to have to reconstruct the whole tree again.

I'll spend a little more time ruling this family out before continuing with the Sth Leith Sutherlands.

Still no word from Mr Lupi .

No comments: