Thursday 1 February 2007

Internet Resources

I Googled the name William Morrison Sutherland and had 3 hits:
  • the first is my query on http://www.cousinconnect.com/ which is a site for posting genealogy enquries. I posted my message ages ago and haven't had a response. I don't know if anyone else has had any luck with theirs.
  • the other is a reference to published work by William Morrison Sutherland which seem to be concerned with economic development in the South Pacific. It's definitely not my guy but although we're possibly related in some way, I don't think I'll bother him at this stage.
  • The third is an Australian parliamentary hansard transcript referring to SES remuneration - mmmm... interesting (not)

I've subscribed to http://www.ancestry.co.uk/, which is a fantastic website. It costs but I think it's worth it. There are various options but I paid 79 pounds sterling which gives me a year of access to the British component - it costs nearly 200 pounds sterling to access worldwide records. It has monthly and pay-per-view options as well. I've actually used it a lot for researching other lines of my family, as well as my partner's family.

Its best feature is the UK census collection which includes censuses for England and Wales from 1841 to 1901 and Scotland for 1841 to 1861, as well as Irish Parish and Probate records, English BMD indexes, British telephone books and the Pallot Marriage Index which lists marriages in English from 1780-1837.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ is a site which is essential for searching for Scottish rellies. It has census information from 1841-1901, Statutory Registers (Births1855-1906, deaths 1855-1956 and marriages 1855-1956); Old Parish Registers - births and baptisms, and Banns and Marriages from 1553 up to 1854; and Wills and Testaments from 1513 to 1901.

Searches on Scotlands People cost nothing but you need to buy credits to view search results and digital images of original documents. It 5 credits is the equivalent of 1GBP.

The other site I've been using a lot is http://www.familysearch.org/ . This site is administered by the Church of the Latterday Saints. Mormons have a duty to research their ancestry and the LDS respositories contain genealogical information on millions of families. There are Family History Centres all over the world which has the information on microfiche but I've only ever searched online so I don't know at this point what extra info I could get at a centre. I did go to our nearest centre but it looked decidedly deserted.

No comments: