Thursday 1 February 2007

First Things First

"They" say you should start with what you know. When I came to think about it, I don't know much about my grandfather's family. I know that my Grandfather's name was Donald Gordon Sutherland and he was born in Nukalofa, Tonga on 14 February 1909, the youngest of six children. I found this in a bible that had been presented to W M Sutherland (presumably my great grandfather) by Mrs B C Burt in 1894.

In the back of the bible is entered the marriage of W M Sutherland and Naomi Mahe 16 November 1897. On another page is a list of Births:

Christina Middlemas - 5 Jan 1899 - Namuka
Robert - 3 February 1901 - Namuka
William Morrison - 9 June 1902 - Lifuka? (I couldn't quite read this)
Walter Stringer - 10 July 1904 - Nuiafu'ou
Georgina Mary - 18 March 1906
Donald Gordon - 14 February 1909 - Nukalofa

Other things I know are:

Donald came to New Zealand and married Stella Matutinovich. They had my Dad - William Gordon Sutherland and they divorced. Grandpa married someone called Nana Ell (I never met her) but I don't think they stayed together. He died in 1986 in Tolaga Bay on the East Cape of New Zealand.

I remember Auntie Georgie being a very elegant lady. my brother boarded with her when he began his chef training in Auckland. She used to boil his underwear.

My GG's name was probably William Morrison and I believe he went by the name of Morrison.

William Morrison's brother, whose name, I believe, was Robert, was in Tonga at the same time.

They both married Tongan women and they may have been Traders.

That's all I know. It's not much is it?

2 comments:

Pearce Family said...

I am chasing records of my Great Grandmother a C.Middlemas... we thought it was Charlotte, now I am not so sure.. she was a herbalist in Sydney and lived in Tonga... can you help?
She had married George Pearce
She was the mother of George Joseph Samuel Pearce
and lived in 17 Ocean St Woollahra, a suburb of Sydney..my GREAT GRAND MOTHER,
I would appreciate it if you can help me clear up this co-incidence.
Lindy Herron Nee Pearce

Terry said...

So Ive stumbled upon your blog quite by accident, Seems we are cousins, my Paternal Grandmother was Georgina Mary Frost Nee Southerland born Niua Foou Tonga. She did indeed marry Arthur Henry Frost and had 3 boys one of which was my father.